Remembrance Day Events 2016 in Calgary, AB
With Remembrance Day coming up on November 11th, we would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our veterans and wish the public a reflective Remembrance Day. If you are looking for a way to show your appreciation this Remembrance Day, check out our list of ceremonies, events, and activities happening around Calgary.
- Field of Crosses Memorial Project – Stop alongside Calgary’s Memorial Drive and observe the 3,000 white crosses on display throughout the park. Each cross is inscribed with the name, rank, regiment, date of death, and age of death of a southern Alberta soldier. There will also be a flag raising ceremony at sunrise with a bugler and piper, and a flag lowering ceremony at sunset. Members of the public are encouraged to visit the site at any time between November 1st and November 12th and walk among the crosses or lay memorial flowers where they see fit.
- Battalion Park Ceremony – The Kings Own Calgary Regiment’s 5th Annual Battalion Park Remembrance Day Ceremony will be held on November 11th in Battalion Park starting at 10:30 AM. There will speeches, a public address, wreath laying, and a short ceremony.
- Central Memorial Park – This annual event held at Calgary’s oldest park includes a parade held by The Calgary Highlanders and Remembrance Day ceremonies all throughout November 11th.
- Remembrance Day at the Military Museums – With a Remembrance service and free admission to the museum to follow, the Military Museums will hold their annual ceremony starting at 10:30 AM. This is one of Calgary’s largest ceremonies so you’ll want to get there early and be sure to bring a non-perishable food with you to the museums to donate to the Veterans’ Food Bank.
- Calgary International Airport Ceremony – For those who will be traveling this Remembrance Day, the Calgary International Airport will be holding a large ceremony with a pipe band starting at 10:30 AM in the Concourse A – Departures Level check-in area at YYC.
Marlborough Ford will keep its doors open and be ready to help you with your car buying needs this Remembrance Day, however, we will hold a moment of silence so our thoughts can be with the fallen soldiers and our veterans. If you would like to stop by and join us in reflection, please visit us in Calgary, AB and be sure to check out the community section of our blog for more holiday events and local happenings all around Calgary!